Sunday, February 26, 2012

iTrubin's Speech in the High School F.I.R.S.T. Robotic's Club: "My Life Description in 15 min.!"



_____________
 After graduating Math and Science program at some Leningrad (USSR) High school in 1973. I had applied only to one University: St. Petersburg State Technical University, St. Petersburg, Russia. But 1st I had idea to go to get engineering phisics major specifically in Biophysics/Bionics.







I visited a few test preparation sessions (like SAT subject tests) at that university and  I was disappointed of contingent/kids there  – they looked too nerdy for me as in spite my very high GPA I was more like punk :


So I changed my mind and applied to Mechanical Engineering School.


After one semester I have realized I was wrong and tried to transfer back… but because of some bureaucracy issues I almost was terminated.
So I stuck in the Mechanical engineering for the next 2.5 years and only when “Industrial Robotics” discipline was established in 1976 in the same faculty, then I was able to move there and finally I got my master degree in Robotics. 

<-That is me on some lecture having good time:





I realy enjoyed student livfe especially during summer semester. One of them I spent  in the south of Russia in some archaeological expedition: 

TRYING TO FIND SOMETHING LIKE:










But most exciting findings was:
... and most important findings was...my future wife!











______
After graduation I worked in University Data Center as Mainframe System programmer with computers like below:
(I worked with Soviet clones of IBM/360 systems called EC)

Then I entered to Ph.D. program and got my PhD in Robotics in 1986 in the same university.. 


Here is the subject of my dissertation:  

I have published in my Russian blog  the abstract of my  PhD dissertations  (1986 )
Research of Industrial Robot Grasping Processes 

The main idea of that work was to find the way to calculate a some set of initial grasping (or assembling) object coordinates that would warrant successful grasping (or assembling) process (operation). I called that "Area of Normal Functioning - ANF" (Область Нормального Функционирования -ОНФ). If grasping or assembling process starts with parameters (or coordinates) that are not in that area, the process will be abnormal and failed. That area defined coordinates where the passive (natural) adaptation would work.
Here is couple pictures from my dissertation:
One of the object for  the research: 


 <-- Math. 6-D model

Differential geometry equations
<-- Vector equations...

One of the results (ANF) =>



_______
Then I become a professor and taught  the following courses:





Me on the "Automate" faculty: 



































I have also work for Brokerage Company trying (unsuccessfully ) to build some forecasting model about the new Russian stock market:
Here is citation from, my 2008 CMG paper about that:


________

In 1999 I moved  to USA and started from the scratch absolutely new career – IT Capacity Management. I have published more than 10 paper about that. 





I made a lot of presentation about my favorite topic, which is the statistical analysis of computer behavior. Below is one of the last presentation (workshop) I made:




And I even got the prestigious www.CMG.org best paper award in 2002:

By the way, rereading my old work (dissertation) I suddenly figured out that my resent idea of Exception Value (anomaly measure, which is area between statistical limits and just happened actual variables values) is very similar with what my very old idea of calculating limits for successful assembling or robot grasping processes!


Below is math. model of that EV which close to ANF model described in my designation:






_______
I have worked for a few Banks IT departments  starting with Capital One and then was outsorced to IBM, where now working as Sr. IT Architect doing consulting work.




I had some business with Coca-cola Company and visited thiew museum in Atlata, where I sow robotic shop to produce bottles with Coca-Cola:



I MISS ROBOTS!!!!

So I enjoyed visiting kids' robotic club:




and robotic's competitions:







THANKS!!!!

1 comment:

Igor Trubin said...

- My speech was mentioned and linked in the following website!
Blue Cheese Robotics
http://www.bluecheese1086.org/ched.php

"This year we invited STEM professionals to visit the team throughout the build season and give CHED talks. We had presenters ranging from an IT Architect with a doctorate in robotics, engineering professionals sharing their knowledge as it applies to FIRST® teams including risk analysis, inspection ..."

Blog Archive

Translate

About Me

My photo
He started in 1979 as IBM/370 system engineer. In 1986 he got his PhD. in Robotics at St. Petersburg Technical University (Russia) and then worked as a professor teaching CAD/CAM, Robotics for 12 years. He published 30+ papers and made several presentations for conferences related to the Robotics and Artificial Intelligent fields. In 1999 he moved to the US, worked at Capital One bank as a Capacity Planner. His first CMG.org paper was written and presented in 2001. The next one, "Exception Detection System Based on MASF Technique," won a Best Paper award at CMG'02 and was presented at UKCMG'03 in Oxford, England. He made other tech. presentations at IBM z/Series Expo, SPEC.org, Southern and Central Europe CMG and ran several workshops covering his original method of Anomaly and Change Point Detection (Perfomalist.com). Author of “Performance Anomaly Detection” class (at CMG.com). Worked 2 years as the Capacity team lead for IBM, worked for SunTrust Bank for 3 years and then at IBM for 3 years as Sr. IT Architect. Now he works for Capital One bank as IT Manager at the Cloud Engineering and since 2015 he is a member of CMG.org Board of Directors. Runs UT channel iTrubin